Yesterday there was a Christmas miracle. I decided to bake vegan Christmas cookies from scratch... on my own... it had never been attempted before. I was surprised and delighted by how everything came together and I have to credit the quality of the recipe for that.
As a vegan convert for about a year now, I can still recall the taste of sugar cookies from Christmas' past. I can say with all honestly that the vegan dough and the frosting are just as tasty, if not more so.
If you plan to try the recipe for yourself I recommend using Vegan Cane Sugar from Whole Foods for the dough, Light Agave Syrup in lieu of corn syrup (just use half the amount) for the frosting, and following the baking times exactly. Also you can find the egg replacement at Henrys.
Here's the recipe:
PERFECT VEGAN SUGAR COOKIE RECIPE
This makes about 36 cookies. We made two batches.
1 cup margarine 3 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar 2 teaspoons baking powder
2 whole egg replacements (Ener-G) 1/4 cup tofu cream cheese (Tofutti)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and sugar. Stir in the egg replacements and vanilla. Gradually add the flour, baking powder and tofu cream cheese. You may have to use your hands at this point to finish the mixing. Form the dough into a long loaf and wrap in cellophane. Refrigerate for a couple hours.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease the cookie sheets or use a non-stick foil.
3. On a lightly floured surface (we taped down a sheet of non-stick foil to our countertop instead), roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place about 1 inch apart cookie on sheets.
4. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes in the preheated oven, until bottoms and edges just start to get light brown. Remove from baking sheet and cool on wire racks. Store in an airtight container.
PERFECT VEGAN ICING RECIPE
Each batch is enough to easily coat 24 cookies. We made four batches, one for each color.
2 cups confectioners' sugar 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract
6-8 teaspoons of soy milk (Silk Vanilla) Assorted food coloring
4 teaspoons of light corn syrup
1. In medium bowl, stir together confectioners' sugar and soy milk until smooth. Beat in corn syrup and almond extract until icing is smooth and glossy. If icing is too thick, add more corn syrup.
2. Add food coloring to desired intensity. Dip cookies and allow to dry overnight.