Crunch ma-me is about to release a new vegan snack that is a mix of crunchy dried edamame and veggies.The Edamame Vegan Snack is 90 calories & includes 8 grams of soy protein. The company sent me some free samples to try. It's quite tasty although not overly satisfying. I'd probably buy a few packs for a road trip or flight just to have something to nosh on. Hopefully these snacks will crop up at 7-11 type markets. On a side note, I've had a few folks reach out about sending me vegan samples. I'm flattered and always willing to taste test anything vegan. For those making the offers, I don't consider myself an "expert" vegan, just one who likes to eat a lot & not feel deprived! Happy munching.
Actually... the V here is for Velvet. It's a Vegan Red Velvet cupcake from Sprinkles. Yummmmmm. Notice how 2 are missing? ;)
People have this crazy misconception that being vegan (or even vegetarian) is a less satisfying way to live. Sure, traveling is a bit difficult if you don't plan appropriately and nibbling on your non-vegan date's dinner becomes a no-no, but in today's Vegan-is-so-hip-even-Oprah's-tried-it world, going animal-product free requires less willpower than a trip to gym.
In fact, having been vegan for nearly two-and-half years, I've found that deprivation has no place in the educated vegan's diet.
There is no better cookie dough on the planet than Eat Pastry's spoon-scoopable variety, for instance. Wild Wood Veggie Burgers defy logic in their tastiness and are quite the opposite of what we've all come to expect from a typical veggie burger. Replace your butter and margarine with Earth Balance Organic Buttery Spread and you will never look back.
And so, as I was shopping and salivating at Whole Foods this morning, I felt compelled to share my purchases, most of which I can vouch for with complete conviction.
The list below doesn't include fruits and veggies -- which I love now more than ever -- but instead items that replace traditional meat and dairy fare. I dare you to try any of the following and not enjoy the experience.
I've also decided to make my vegan Evernote notebooks publicly accessible. Did you know that Amazon has more than 2,000 vegan grocery items for sale? Um yea, that's pretty badass. Anyway, you can find my vegan notes here:
And, because I epitomize what it means to be a lazy vegan, I can't live without VeganXpress, an iPhone app that lists out vegan items at chain restaurants.
Without further ado...
Whole Foods Cheat Sheet
Fake Meats & Cheeses:
- Gimme Lean Ground Sausage Style
- Gimme Lean Ground Beef Style
- Wild Wood Savory Baked Tofu
- Field Roast Classic Meatloaf
- Wild Wood Veggie Burgers: Original, Shiitake & Southwest
- Tofurky Hickory Smoked Deli Slices
- Tofurky brand Tempeh Organic Five Grain
- Yves Veggie Cuisine Meatless Pepperoni
- Daiya Mozzarella Style Shreds
- Rice Vegan American Flavor Slices
- Rice Vegan Pepper Jack Flavor Slices
- Tofurky Italian Sausage & Pre-Roasted Veggie Pizza
- Tofurky Pepperoni Pizza
- Gardein Classic Style Buffalo Wings
- Amy's Non-Dairy Vegetable Pot Pie
- Amy's Burrito (non-diary bean burrito)
- Breaded Vegan Fish Fillets
- Eat Pastry Chocolate Chunk Cookie Dough
- Purely Decadent Peanut Butter Zig Zag Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert
- Goldie's Premium Carob Bar Rice Crunch
- Uncle Eddies Vegan Cookies (not pictured)
- Earth Balance Organic Buttery Spread Original Whipped (not pictured)
- Tofutti Cream Cheese
- Whole Soy & Co Vanilla Organic Soy Yogurt
- 365 Organic Herb & Garlic Water Crackers
- Whole Foods Hummus
- C2O Pure Coconut Water
Great Vegan Brands
- Field Roast
- Uncle Eddies
- Yves Veggie Cuisine
- Amy's (not all products are vegan)
- Whole Soy
- Purely Decadent
- Eat Pastry
Vegan Quick Bites & Standbys
- Starbucks: Frappuccinos w/Soy & no whip (syrups & Mocha are vegan, Light Frappuccino and White Mocha are NOT vegan)
- Taco Bell: Bean Burrito no cheese or Seven Layer Burrito no sour cream or cheese
- Chipotle: Vegetarian Burrito or Burrito Bowl (black beans, no cheese)
- Sammy's Pizza: sub Daiya cheese & ask about crust options
- Quiznos: Veggie Sandwich on white or wheat, no cheese/no dressing
- Jamba Juice: Five Fruit Frenzy, Pomegranate Paradise & Protein Berry Workout w/soy protein
- Super Pretzel Baked Soft Pretzels
- Cracker Jacks
- Sun Chips (original)
- Triscuits (original)
- Stacy's Pita Chips (baked)
- Sour Patch Kids
- Skittles (U.S.)
- Swedish Fish
Read: Promotes brain function. As if I need any more of that :P.
Vegetarians and vegans have many options to choose from when craving a meat alternative. Vegan chicken, an imitation meat product designed to taste like poultry, is a popular vegan food. Vegan poultry can be made of a variety of ingredients, and is usually a healthier alternative to regular chicken products.
Imitation chicken has the same texture, and often the same flavor as regular poultry. The most common ingredient in vegan poultry is soy. Soy chicken can be flavored with a variety of other ingredients as well. These can include garlic, onion, dehydrated vegetables, herbs, and various leavening agents.
for my non vegan friends :)
trust me, it's quite tasty
"it's bacon and cheese sandwiched between two pieces of fried chicken"
What is wrong with our society?!?
I'm totally appalled, but then again you guys know I'm vegan. What do the meat-eaters think?
Back for more. So delish!